Sunday, October 03, 2010

How to Remove Onion/Garlic Smell from Hands

So among other interesting features, like not having a single level surface anywhere, my apartment has no microwave.  Being both poor and cheap, I decided to see if I can get by without buying one, and thus far, it's actually been pretty easy.  One unexpected benefit is that I've been making the time to cook a lot more often, knowing that I won't be able to toss a Hot Pocket in the microwave when I get hungry.  Plus I actually really enjoy cooking.

What I don't enjoy is how, after chopping onions, garlic or other strongly scented ingredients, the smell can stay on your hands for a ridiculously long time.  It reminds me of when I worked at Quiznos and smelled sandwiches all the time.  Thankfully, there are ways to solve this problem, and I'm going to share the best two with you today.


The first method I know is the one I use all the time, because it's both easy and FREE.  I love free stuff.  After chopping onions, garlic, etc, just rub your fingers or hands against any stainless steel surface for a few seconds.  I have no idea how or why this works, but it's pretty miraculous.  I usually just use the side of the pot I had been cooking in after it cools down.

The second method isn't quite free, but it is pretty cheap.  Take about a tablespoon of table salt and add a little water to it, making it into a paste of sorts.  Rub it on your hands, concentrating especially on your fingers, where the smell tends to concentrate.  Then just wash it off and you should be all set!

If anyone knows why these work, I'd love to hear the explanation.

No comments:

Post a Comment